Wednesday, January 23, 2013

R.I.P., Mercutio

     This morning, as I was snuggled in my warm bed and thinking about the dream I had just awoken from, I could not have known. I would never have guessed that as I was in the serenity of my blankets, Mercutio Aniken Black, my pet betta fish, was at the bottom of his bowl, anchored by death.
     I was reaching over to feed him. Surprise--but acceptance--came to me in an odd combination as I looked at him on top of the rocks. I knew that I had to flush him, but it took me nearly an hour to bring myself to do it. Mercutio has been a part of my life since I was a freshmen in high school, and I could not believe that it was all ending on this seemingly insignificant Wednesday morning.
     This unexpected event altered my morning routine. I had a change of plans for wardrobe; instead of the pink I was planning, I wore a black collared shirt. Instead of leaving the house around 7:30, I was pushed back to 7:45.
     I felt disgruntled, but as I was driving my moped to school this morning, I looked up at the sky and saw the arrangement of blues, purples, yellows, and oranges. It was comforting, and somehow I know that Mercutio is in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment